Letter of Recommendation：推 荐 信
B) Introduction to Recommendation Letter
C) Case Studies
D) Useful Phrases
E) Sentence Patterns
To be familiar with the proper format or style of recommendation letter
To learn how to make or create an English recommendation letter based on the given Chinese materials
一封推荐信除了信头、发信日期、收信人姓名、称呼、信尾谦称、签名、推荐人姓名、职务等必需部分之外，正文内容说明应包括下列各项： 被推荐者的签名——为便于对方查询，被推荐者的签名仅“Mr. Wang”或“Miss Zheng”是不够的。用标准的汉语拼音或英文拼法都可以，但必须由被推荐者自己提供，且前后必须一致。 认识被推荐者的时间（How long have you know him/her）——何时开始认识，或认识了多久。 认识程度（How well do you know him/her）——是偶尔见面还是关系密切，或仅教过一年还是担任其导师。 与被推荐人的关系（relationship）——师生关系，上、下级领导关系等。 被推荐人的表现（performance）——学习、生活、课堂和课外活动的表现。 结论意见——愿意推荐或不愿意推荐，无保留或有所保留的推荐、普通推荐或极力推荐，必须明确，当然力荐为最好。
Scholastic aptitude a．Native intellectual ability（天赋） b． Imagination（想象力） c． Creativity（创造力） d． Capacity for analytical thinking（分析思考能力） e． Intellectual curiosity; spirit of inquiry（好奇心） f． Ability to work independently（独立学习工作的能力） g． Memory（记忆力） h． Accuracy（准确性） i． Methodology（研究方法） j． Capability for abstract reasoning（抽象推理的能力） k． Potential as a researcher（研究的潜力） l． Potential as a teacher（教学的潜力） m． Ability to express his ideas orally and in writing（口头或文字的表达能力） n． Capacity, desire and determination for good-quality graduate work（获得学业成功的能力、愿望与决心） o． Probable success as a graduate（作为研究生成功的可能性）
Academic performance a． Breadth of general knowledge（知识丰富） b． Knowledge of literature in his field（本专业领域知识） c． Grade or achievement（成绩或成就） d． Industry, diligence（勤勉） e． Participation in discussion（讨论积极） f． Academic maturity（学业上的成熟） Languages a． Ability to speak, understand, read and write English（听、说、读、写英文的能力） b． Ability to read significant literature in other languages than English（英语以外的语言阅读能力）
Character a． Honesty; integrity（诚实） b． Sincerity（诚恳） c． Sense of responsibility（责任感） d． Cooperation （合作） e． Enthusiasm（热诚） f． Conscientiousness（自觉性） g． Ethical and moral standards（伦理与道德标准） h． Reliability; dependability（可靠性）
1) It is a great pleasure to recommend XX, a former student of mine at XX University.
2) I am very happy to have this opportunity to recommend XX, who is one of my best students and presently applying for admission to your graduate or undergraduate program in XX.
3) In my capacity as a professor at xxx University, I have known xxx for three years, as both his/her advisor and professor.
4) I am XX, a professor from Germany. XX is a student in my Credit Insurance course in XX, whose great passion for my course and preciseness as well as peaceful mind to the difficulties has left a remarkable impression on me. Thus, I take great pleasure in recommending her to your renowned university.
5) XX took my courses in Oral English and News Editing, and impressed me with her excellent English ability and her wide knowledge scope in the fields of News, Finance and Economics. 6) I am pleased to write to you on behalf of X, who is applying for your esteemed Master/PHD program. I have known X for X years as she took my course in . . . . More recently, I have been advising her on her thesis. 7) This letter is in support of X, who is applying for a Master/PHD degree program. I have read his statement of purpose with great care. In fact, I have had many discussions with him about his project, which I find both compelling and important. 8) I am very glad to recommend XX, one of my favorite students, for admission into your esteemed university. As a quick-minded student, his/her solid foundation in XX and excellent performance in XX have impressed me greatly.
1) I am XX, the Director of Risk Management Department of the Bank of China in Jixi City, Heilongjiang Province. I would like to recommend to your esteemed university my former subordinate, xx, who is a business talent with strong executive ability. 2) As the general manager XX Company, a renowned medium-sized enterprise in Singapore, I deem it a great pleasure to write this letter for XX. XX took a two-month internship under my direct supervision in xx department. As a new comer, she was mainly in charge of XX. 3) Above all, Mr. N is good at and also takes delight in communication. With an open and friendly personality, he developed good friendships with his colleagues soon after he joined our department, which further facilitated his work. 首先, Mr. N是一个非常乐于并且也善于沟通的同事，他的性格开朗，待人友善，因此在进入部门后不久就和其他同事变得非常熟悉，这也使得他随后的工作变得更加顺利
4) Apart from solid foundation and business capability, Mr. N also has a unique insight into economic and financial trends. During his internship here, we frequently talked on topics such as market and price trend of the real estate industry, market dynamics of China’s stock market, etc. Through those talk, I could feel his deep thinking and original views, which were rarely seen among his peers. 除了基础的知识和业务能力，Mr. N还对经济和金融动态有一些自己的认识，在他实习期间我们就对房地产市场与价格走势、中国股票市场动态等话题进行不不止一次的讨论，让我看到了他拥有的本科生中少见的深入思考和独到看法。 5) In August, 2012, after strict screenings, Miss Ning entered our department as an intern. During the two-month internship, she accomplished the tasks assigned to her with excellence, displaying refined personal qualities. Miss Ning是2012年8月经过筛选后进入到我司实习的。在2个月的实习期内，她高水平地完成了领导交办的工作任务，表现出了良好的个人修养。
based on what I have mentioned above; On the whole; in summary; all in all; in a word; at last; overall 1) All in all, I am happy to highly recommend XX for admission to your graduate program without reservation. Your kind/serious consideration of his/her application would be most appreciated. 2) In light of his noticeable internship performance, I have been firmly convinced of his potential in the financial industry. I sincerely hope your prestigious university would favorably consider this application and provide him with a platform for better development. 3) In conclusion, XX is a potentially talented person who can create more value for the company. I am convinced that if she steps into the XX field, she can greatly showcase her capability. Therefore, I solemnly recommend her to you. 4) Overall, XX is an excellent student who keeps going forward courageously. I am in favor of her decision of studying abroad, and willing to offer academic and other supports. Your kind consideration of her application will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your objective evaluation. If there is any further information is needed, please contact me directly. 5）Based on what I have mentioned above, I strongly recommend him/her to your esteemed university on behalf of the other staff in our company. I sincerely hope that you will give his application a favorable consideration. Should you want to know more information, please do not hesitate to contact me. 6) In view of his/ her remarkable performance in coursework and work, I greatly support his decision to study abroad. And I firmly believe that he will make splendid achievements in the future. Thus I sincerely hope that you will give his application a favorable consideration.